Posted on January 17, 2019 by Josh Puttock
Looking for a way to challenge yourself and get strong at the same time? Try Naweed’s wall-assisted handstand, a great way to get to grips with this move especially if you are a beginner. Read on to find out how to do it.
Benefits of handstands:
A beginner’s handstand is a great way to start going over your head. It strengthens everything in your upper body, including wrists, shoulders and arms. It also helps strengthen hip flexors, hamstrings, inner thigh muscles, and spinal muscles, to create a balanced, super-strong core. In addition, it will improve your balance, bone health, circulation and breathing. And because it stimulates the thyroid and pituitary glands, it will boost your mood and regulate your metabolism: it can actually help regulate your metabolic rate, thus assisting with weight control.
How to do it:
– Place both palms flat on the ground with fingertips roughly 3-6 inches from the wall
– Gently lean over to place your back flat against the wall whilst feet are planted on the ground
– Maintain tension in the shoulders (it should feel as if you’re pushing the ground away from you)
– Slowly raise one leg over till it’s resting against the wall whilst slowly removing your back from the wall
– Bring the second leg up and over
– All pressure should be felt in the wrist, arm and shoulders.
By Naweed Zaman, Gym & Spa Operator and Personal Trainer, The Spa at Beaufort Park