Posted on January 11, 2018 by Louisa Feary
If you’re looking to perform an overhaul of your current eating habits, then the key is to plan and prep. If you do not plan how to change existing habits then the old saying will happen; “Fail to prepare, prepare to fail”. It may seem daunting if you don’t know where to start but here are some helpful hints to get you started. The rest is up to you!
- Write down everything you eat for a week or two. This way you can look at what you are actually eating rather than what you think you might be having. From this you can plan what and when to eat.
- Write down all the foods you consider a treat. The next step is to look at tasty alternatives to keep you on track so you don’t binge.
- Getting a balance of food is really important to ensure you’re getting all the necessary nutrients for your body. If you prefer carbohydrates in the morning to fuel your day then ensure you’re having protein in your lunch, dinner and snacks.
- Aim to make your meals as colourful as possible – this way you’ll be getting a variety of nutrients as well as keeping your meals interesting.
- At the weekend plan and prep your weekly meals and shop accordingly. You can cook a big pot of some something yummy and then freeze/refrigerate for the week. That way in the morning you simply have to take it out and you know you’ll be eating healthily and there’re no trips to the shops for a boring sandwich.
- Try making as much food from scratch as possible. Packaged food often comes with preservatives to make it last longer including extra salt and sugar.
- Take snacks with you to work or if you are out for the day as this removes the temptation to buy unhealthy fillers. You will also see a benefit to your wallet this way too!
The first thing you need to do is think about why you are making these changes. This will get you in the right mindset which will make it a lot easier to succeed. If you find yourself struggling then you can always get a couple of sessions with a personal trainer who can help you make a meal plan. For more information on our personal trainers click here. For some tasty breakfast ideas, and for a sweet treat to keep you on track, check out these yummy flapjacks.
Louisa Feary, Marketing