Posted on January 15, 2018 by Louisa Feary
The arrival of low temperatures causes us to dust off our coats and prepare ourselves to spend a few months in the cold. And to avoid discomfort, it is essential to stay warm in winter at all times, especially while training outdoors.
Steps to follow:
- Depending on which city you live in, the cold in winter can be more or less intense so it is very important to evaluate the type of clothes you need to be warm during these months of the year. Evaluate these details and put together a wardrobe with the necessary thermal layers for training and suitable running shoes.
- To keep the body warm in winter there is an infallible trick: protect your head with a good hat. Most of the body heat is lost through the head, but if you wear a winter cap, whether wool, fleecy or any other warm material, you will feel like your body is hot for longer.
- In the same way, at the other end of our body, on our feet, there is an essential trick to make us feel warmer and more comfortable. And is that if you wear the wrong shoes your feet immediately feel the cold, and while that happens it will be very difficult for the rest of your body to keep warm. So choose good winter trainers that are warm inside to protect your feet from the cold and rain.
- Socks are equally important and become the complement of good boots. Some people prefer thermal or wool for winter, a great alternative if you cannot stand the cold well or if you live in an area where temperatures drop a lot.
- Winter affects our hands, drying them out and making them look opaque so, in addition to constantly moisturising to reduce the chance of developing chapped or broken skin, it is important to protect them with good gloves that help them to be warm. This little detail makes a real difference and will make you feel much more comfortable.
- Thermal under layers are a great option for people who live in much colder environments. They are placed on the body under your normal clothes and help to keep the heat in these extremities. But to be effective it is important to use only if the weather warrants.
- Do not allow sore throats and colds to settle in your life every winter. Protect your neck well with a scarf or handkerchief and you will see how they to maintain body heat more effectively. In the same way choose a good warm and comfortable coat that guarantees the protection you need.
Gonzalo Norona-Palacios, Fulham Reach