Posted on February 20, 2018 by Louisa Feary
If you’re in need of a bit of Mediterranean sunshine without having to the leave the comfort of your own home, here’s a Sunshine Stew for you to fill your kitchen with a touch of the Middle East!
- 50g cooking chorizo
- 1 large red onion
- 1 medium courgette
- Half a yellow pepper
- 1 medium green chilli
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Half a teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 teason of smoked paprika
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400g can of cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon of runny honey
- 100ml of water
- 3 free range eggs
- 2 green olices
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Black pepper
- 30g of feta cheese
- Remove the skin and chop your chorizo into 0.5cm discs, then into half moon shapes.
- Heat a little olive oil in a medium sized frying pan, and gently fry the chorizo until it starts to get a little colour. The aim here is to ‘render’ the smoking paprika fat out of the chorizo.
- Remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon and put aside, don’t get rid of golden fat in pan as needed for next stage.
- Half your onion and slice into half moon shape pieces, lightly fry your onion in the chorizo fat for about 7-8 minutes.
- You don’t want to put any real colour on the onion, you just want to make it sweat a little bit.
- Slice your courgettes into half moons and slice your peppers into long strips. Finely chop green chilli. Add the courgettes, peppers and green chilli with the onion and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Remove leaves from parsley and finely chop the stalks. Add these to the pan and keep leaves for later.
- Peel and crush the garlic and add to the pan along with the fennel seeds and the smoked paprika and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add your tinned chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and honey. Leave to cook with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Whilst it’s cooking crack your eggs into a small bowl, roughly chop your parsley leaves and set aside.
- Take the lid off the saucepan to check the consistency. It needs to be nice and saucy. It may need reducing with the lid off for a couple of minutes. Another option would be to crush a few of the cannellini beans with the back of a spoon.
- Add the chorizo back to the pan and stir in half of the chopped parsley, half of the green olives and all of the lemon zest and juice. Simmer for a further minute or so. Season with black pepper.
- Use a spoon to make a couple of small wells into the stew, use the wells to then pour your egg into. Season the egg with black pepper and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, break your feta cheese into chunks and spinkle on top.
- There are a few ways this can be finished off. Either place in the oven for 10 minutes for 190oC, or leave to gently simmer on the hob for 10 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook your eggs, you want them nice and runny!
- Finish by sprinkling the rest of the green olives and parsley on the top.
- Serve with crusty bread.