Posted on June 08, 2018 by Kate Gordon
I’m combining three of my favourite ingredients; salmon, asparagus and brown rice. So, for a tasty and healthy meal, take a look below!
- Two cups of water
- One cup of brown rice
- Single 100g salmon fillet
- Four asparagus spears (chopped)
- Seven closed cup chestnut mushrooms (whole)
- Using a medium sized saucepan, set the rice to boil and add salt to taste. When the water is almost dried out, cover and reduce the heat to its lowest setting.
- Check once or twice to ensure the rice is cooked through. Remove from the heat once you are happy with the texture.
- Lightly oil a medium sized frying pan and season the fillets on the skin side. You can use fish seasoning, but I prefer regular all-purpose seasoning for the fish and vegetables.
- Set the heat to medium and add the fish to the pan.
- Let the skin crisp up and allow the meat to turn a light shade of pink. Once you see this, turn the fish and add the vegetables, then cover the pan and reduce the heat to its lowest setting.
- Remove from the heat when the fish is cooked through and you’re happy with the texture of the vegetables.
Why try this?
Salmon is one of the best sources of Omega 3 and protein. Salmon also provides these nutrients; vitamin D, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, Niacin, Selenium and Magnesium. All in all, it’s pretty great!
Asparagus for some is an acquired taste, but I think it’s delicious. It also has a long list of phytonutrient properties. These phytonutrients offer antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties amongst other benefits.
Asparagus is particularly beneficial for regulating blood glucose levels and reducing blood vessel constriction.
Brown rice is high in complex carbohydrates, with a low GI rating. It helps to regulate cholesterol (LDL, the “bad” one). It is high in fibre and is a great source of Selenium and Manganese.
Selenium is a trace mineral shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Manganese is a key element in your body’s energy production and endocrine performance. It also provides potent antioxidant protection.
Try it out, I hope you like it!
By Junior White, Gym & Spa Operative